Saturday, November 17, 2007

Untitled Series by Jeff Seltzer

As photographers, we are often looking for that subject that will captivate our viewers. But in the process (because of it? despite it?), we overlook the everyday common things in our lives.

In his Untitled series, Jeff Seltzer set out to photograph these "mundane" scenes. Says Jeff:

"Places and scenes that that might go otherwise unnoticed if not photographed – in my experience, these are some of the challenging photography opportunities to spot. People are absent from the images which I believe creates a haunting or mysterious quality. I tried to capture images in which viewers would have to imagine people and thus create their own stories. Looking back at the images in this ongoing series, there’s also a strong geometrical component that most of the images have in common and which helps tie them together. I am frequently asked if I set up the scenes, but I do not, not even the shopping carts."

No comments: