Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Photography Inspiration, Part IV

This is part IV of VI for photography inspiration.

31. Revisit Places You’ve Been Before
Item #30 suggested revisiting your past in terms of "archive raiding." However, it also works if you revisit locations to which you've been before. Coming back to a location again will most likely cause you to think beyond snapping so that you will come away with a new, original idea. With regard to national parks, for instance, their beauty is ever-present but different depending on the season. Yosemite has its wonders in the summer, but in the winter it is absolutely breathtaking as well. So re-visit those places to which you've been before. As the photopreneur states, "The light will be different, your skills will be different… and so will you," and I totally agree with that assessment.

32. Ask “What if…?”
This is a question I ask often. What would happen, for instance, if I used shallow depth of field? What if I switched from a wide-angle lens to a macro lens? What if I shot with or without a flash? A lot of times, just because I can, I shoot the same subject but from a slightly different angle, with different apertures, different lenses, and so on. Remember: memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

33. Leave Constructive Comments
I shall admit that I don't leave enough comments on other blogs. I view the blogs, admire the work, but it takes a bit extra effort for me to provide a constructive comment. I need to work on constructive comments, because the comments that I do leave usually are something to the effect of "beautiful lighting" or "excellent composition." By constructive comments, I mean remarking why I like a certain image and possibly suggesting whether this image could be improved. That said, I believe that any comment is better than none, so I don't mind receiving comments like "great capture" or "nice effect here." One of the books I read in 2007 was Paul Coehlo's novel The Alchemist, and there was one quote that struck me: "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving." I think when first looking at a photo, you instantly know that you like it. However, because the emotional process is complicated, you can't really explain why you like a certain image. In other words, there is no need to justify why you like a certain photo; thus, I think that simple comments like "love it" or "this sucks" are perfectly legitimate.

34. Join Photo Contests
Photo contests are a lot of fun. The really prestigious ones, such as National Geographic's "Your Shot" will give you tremendous exposure (featured on the National Geographic website as well as the printed magazine). Before submitting your image, do read the fine print in terms of terms of service and other logistics behind your submission.

35. Choose a Theme

When submitting an image for a photo contest, you're often selecting an image in a particular genre/theme. But sometimes there is the "other" category, in which you're allowed to submit a variation on a theme. So do something creative today.

36. Check out the Big Winners

Major photo contests also have editors which select submissions throughout the year and hand out the "Picture(s) of the Year" awards. Explore those images to get inspired, as these images are often at the top of the class.

37. Go Back to the Rules
There's a saying that goes "You can't break the rules until you know the rules." This adage is certainly true in photography. There are a selection of images which I go back to after initial dismissal because after a bit more experience, I realize that I can post an image and classify it as nonconventional. For instance, motion blur is typically a taboo in images, except when it adds to the effect, such as this image of a runner on the beach:

So first learn the rules, then learn how to break them.

38. Just Shoot Anyway
This attitude is pretty popular with digital photographers. At times it can be disadvantageous as you end up shooting a whole ton of pictures, but none of them are composed well or visually aesthetic. That said, however, there are times when I am hesitant to break out the camera from my camera bag, but I decide to do it anyway because I think I may be able to come up with something. What's the worst that can happen? You add a couple of shutter clicks to your camera and a few megabytes of used space on your memory card. And as the photopreneur writes, "At best, you might surprise yourself and find a new kind of composition."

39. Get a Cause
If you are shooting for something you believe in, trust in, or have dreams and aspirations about, chances are you're going to push yourself to do a great job. If you stand behind a particular cause, you're more motivated and focused. As a result, your images will follow suit. You'll even inspire others in what you believe in, and that's always a plus.

40. Play with Textures
Photographers often focus on the light and composition. Sometimes, however, it's good to break free and focus on the textures. When I was at national parks, I would shoot landscapes with my Canon 17-40 f/4L lens, but I would also switch to my macro to capture the texture of rocks and certain plants. I think that those images that evoke the sense of touch in the viewer are truly exceptional.

No comments: